Are you overwhelmed? overloaded? taking on too much? feeling pressure to be everywhere? Do you feel like you’re juggling way too much and you don’t know how to get it all done?
Well, let me assure you, your not alone. Lately, I’ve over heard ladies talking about this, seen many Facebook comments about this, read blog posts about this, and even myself have been there more times than I would care to tell you!!
As woman we are born to multi-task, it’s just in our nature to be wired that way. We as wives, mothers, ladies can juggle quite a bit but there comes a point when we just take on TOO MUCH!
Now I’m not talking about the occasional day where it can be busy because of unexpected things, I’m referring to all the needless things we pile on ourselves. Saying yes to things that just add extra things in our day, trying to do and be everything to everyone, trying to keep up with others are doing, piling on more activities that are just keeping our schedules overloaded…..does this sound familiar?
Here’s a few questions to ask yourself to see if you are juggling too much?
- Are you spending quality time with God every day?
- Do you spend time each day in prayer? For your family? Your children? For your spouse?
- Is your housework being neglected?
- Are you behind in paying bills?
- Is there projects going to the wayside in your home?
- Are you children getting your undivided attention? Is your spouse getting undivided attention?
- Do you feel you don’t have enough time in the day to get it all done?
- Is your calendar double booked on most days?
- Do you find yourself saying “yes” to everyone & everything?
- Are you missing appointments or special events?
Only you can answer these honestly! When we get to the point when we are neglecting our time with God, or our other things are coming before our family and things are being pushed to the back of the line, it might be time to reevaluate things in your life.
Recently I had to do this in my life. We all have great intentions and we could be doing wonderful things but when they take place of what we are called to do, it throws things out of balance. When this happens it’s time to eliminate the “busyness” and get back to a more simplified life!
“One reason we are so harried and hurried is that we make yesterday and tomorrow our business, when all that legitimately concerns us is today. If we really have too much to do, there are some items on the agenda which God did not put there. Let us submit the list to Him and ask Him to indicate which items we must delete. There is always time to do the will of God. If we are too busy to do that, we are too busy.”
― Elisabeth Elliot, Secure in the Everlasting Arms
So what do we do when things get out of control and we realize we are juggling too much? It’s time to sit and pray and ask God what you need to let go of. Remember there is a lot we do that is good, maybe a wonderful cause, beneficial to a ministry……but is it what God wants you to do? This isn’t easy to let go of some things but it’s needed if we want more peace and simplicity.
Here’s a few suggestions to help limit your load and find ways to save time:
- Start logging your day on a time chart. (you’ll be surprised where your time goes)
- Pray. Ask God to help you see the time wasters in your day.
- Log in how much internet time you use in a day. (that is a big one for all of us)
- Ask your spouse or close friend if they see areas that are taking too much of your day.
- Make a list of key areas as a wife, mom, & woman of God, then compare them to what you do in a day. Do they match up?
Something that really has helped me is getting up earlier than everyone else and spending time alone with God. This gives a chance to set my day before Him and see what He wants me to accomplish. Yes, there are days when things just “come up” but when we seek God first it helps put things in perspective.
All in all when we sit down and put our priorities in order…..Get focused on what God wants us to do…….and cut extra things out of our day that really are not needed, we find we have more time for God, our children, our spouse, & our homes. This brings peace & simplicity!
*Here’s a book called “Juggling Life’s Responsibilities” by Anne Elliot. I read this book a number of years ago and it has some tremendous helpful principles. You can find more information about her and her book HERE.
Are you juggling too much? Is there things you need to let go of? Do you want a more balanced and peaceful life? It’s possible…..when we give it to God and start purging needless things in our lives. If this was helpful….why not “pin” it?